Seed Stitch

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Mini Kyoto

This is the first garment of any substance knit with my own handspun. I used the Kyoto pattern in Knitty as a model.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Pattern: Based on Kyoto, heavily modified.

Yarn: Brown: handspun Romney wool, about 100 yards. Pink: handspun Corriedale wool, about 300 yards.

Notes: I made some major modifications to the pattern, both to accommodate the smaller size and to cut down on all the seaming at the end. Now, I don't mind seaming. In fact, I rather like it. There's something so satisfying about getting that perfect invisible seam. But knitting a small sweater in a heavy worsted yarn makes for a lot of extra bulk if you have seams all over the place.
I eliminated the shoulder seams by going the short row/three needle bind-off route; I eliminated the body-to-sash seams by not binding off the sash; I eliminated the border-to-body seam by knitting the seed stitch border along with the two fronts. I'll graft the two sides of the border together and seam it for a few inches at the back of the neck.
I see a lot of people knitting this sweater looking for ways to cut down on the seaming. I don't know that I'd recommend my modifications for an adult-size sweater as those seams give the garmet some shape and stability. Baby clothes are a lot more forgiving since babies are basically shaped like little squares.

2 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, September 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

super, super cute, especially on that dumpling of a baby! what great curls...great yarn that you're turning out...good luck on your apartment hunt, too.

 
At 6:19 PM, January 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just browsing your fos....I think this is the CUTEST thing i've ever seen!! I love that in adult size and now in baby....TOO CUTE! Wonderful pieces you've done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home