Seed Stitch

Monday, January 22, 2007

Trellis

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Pattern: Trellis

Yarn: Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Notes: I had a wicked time with the grafting of the shoulders on this one. I'd never done kitchener stitch on seed stitch before, but I found a good explanation (by Debbie New, author of My favorite knitting book!) on grafting seed stitch here.

I tried joining the shoulders with a three needle bind-off first, just because it was easier and stronger, but wasn't at all happy with the way it looked:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Shoulder seamed with three-needle bind-off

So I followed Debbie New's advice and knit a little swatch of the cable/seed stitch pattern, knit ONE row in a contrasting color, and then finished the swatch in the main color.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then I made my grafting yarn follow the pattern of the blue yarn, passing it in and out of the stitches in the same way the blue yarn went.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Shoulder joined with kitchener stitch

It looked much better grafted like that. And once it was blocked you couldn't even tell it had been grafted.

2 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, February 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl,
GREAT tip on grafting the shoulders for the Trellis pattern. I'm going to use that tip to graft the trellis sweater that I've been (slowly) knitting. I've been knitting for quite some time and I L O V E when I come across a useful tip such as yours. Many thanks!

Julia (Denver, CO)

 
At 10:01 PM, September 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am working in Trellis right now, but I'm having a problem with the left twists. Yours look perfect...would you mind explaining your technique to me? Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home